Friday, November 11, 2011

Message from Sallie

Hi everyone, I’m Sallie Lundy-Frommer. Just call me Sallie.

This is not my first blog post, but I think it may be my most revealing. I’m new to blogging and have been somewhat stunted in the types of information I’ve shared. This was not intentional, but an effect of my being naturally reserved and taking the wobbly steps of a new blogger. So, I wanted to take some time to you tell you more about myself and the journey to writing my first novel.

I was born in the south to a large family. In fact, I have six brothers and three sisters. We were all born at home on farms in the rural south of the U.S.A. Born to a family of migrant farm workers, we moved from one work location to another depending on the crop being harvested. I can’t remember much of the actual farm work like my siblings, but I have images in my head of running barefoot with a burlap bag hung over my shoulder through the fields. I used to think these images were a dream, but my mother confirmed she did take me in the fields with her while she worked. I was very young when my family moved to the North East.

The move from the farming world afforded me with opportunities my sisters and brothers never had because they were needed to work the farm. There was no question that I would go to school. I was the first to go to college and graduate school. Following school, I worked in employee benefits administration and medical office management.

As for life events, I met my husband in a nightclub, of all places. Before you jump to conclusions, the entire club was rented for my friend’s birthday party. I was invited, but my husband was not. He came with a friend. Just call him party crasher...:-) We started dating right away. And, as they say, the rest is history. We’ve been married for almost 15 years. We’re both avid readers and I can honestly say, there are books in almost every room of our home. Some of my favorite authors are Edgar Rice Burroughs, Patricia Cornwell, Charlaine Harris, Anthony E. Zuiker, C. S. Lewis, Dee Henderson, George Shuman, Jeaniene Frost, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I’ve always been a little enamored with writers and never considered writing myself. In other words, I ignored the voices of the characters running around in my head and in my dreams because I was more than a little scared to try to put it all down on paper. In fact, I ignored Malachi and Sapphira for a couple of years. I dreamt about them and their struggles almost every night, but fought against the pull to write for fear of not being able to get it right. Finally, Sapphira, Malachi and all the other characters wouldn’t be ignored any longer. I started writing, telling their story.

After the medical practice where I worked closed, I was able to devote more time to their story. I was amazed at how easily the story revealed itself to me; I struggled to write it as honestly and descriptively as it was shown to me. It took me several months to write the book and several more to carefully edit it. I made every effort for the book to be as visually dynamic as it was in my dreams. Thus, Yesterday’s Daughter was born.

Writing the book has given me a confidence in writing that is new to me. I smile when I think about the worlds and characters that my imagination has given birth to. With my newfound assurance and joy in writing, I am continuing Malachi and Sapphira’s story. They have so many more adventures to share, enemies to fight, and dangers to thwart. And let’s not forget, they have an immeasurable love that suffuses their story.

I hope you continue to follow my blog as I share my writing experiences, give snippets about the sequel to Yesterday’s Daughter, and solicit advice.

Thanks for joining me.....
Sallie

1 comment:

  1. Sallie you got a winner here. I want to read your book. It is right up my ally. LOL. I love paranormal stories and this story is good for the YA group and trust me they will love this. I see you as the Next Stephanie Meyers.I will be following you. Hope you return the follow. I am a newbie still. This is my blog anaitorres-nani.blogspot.com

    A pleasure to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete